Thursday, February 5, 2009

Nothing new,

I have begun my search for some ultimate blog for a future English teacher to read...and have been left with nothing. Maybe my expectations are too high. However, I have found "The English Teacher Blog" which is pretty interesting. I particularly like the entry on Jan. 30th about the picture the little girl drew...HILARIOUS.
I don't really know what I look for in a blog, especially one that is devoted to English or Language Arts. What to read, what not to read, how to read it and utilize it in the classroom? I am really not sure.

In class last night we began to talk about the importance of reading, or maybe the importance of enjoying to read? Someone brought up this concern about books being made into movies which leads children away from the literature and more too the television screen. I can't say that I totally agree with "oh this is horrible" but I don't disagree with her concerns. I suppose the only real aspect that I worry about is how much a movie can be different from the actual book. For example, Marry Poppins..if you have not read it..do, and it will scare the bajeezus out of you. Then we began to discuss the importance of 'liking to read'. I personally hate reading. Well, that is a lie. I love to read. Just not very much that comes out of a text book or anything that involved Romeo and Juliet (ew). So, finding ANY book that my students will enjoy will be wonderful. There is so much more out there then what, for example, I have had to read in school. While Tennyson and Shakespeare are talented famous ..dead..writers, please, will someone just let Romeo and Juliet die already? I know the story, I do NOT need to read it again.

No comments: