Thursday, February 19, 2009

My Professional Portfolio..its never ending

I have spent a long time questioning what all I want to put in my portfolio. There is a list that I have created where I am slowly adding things and crossing things off as I am beginning to really dig into this portfolio. This like: are those things really worth showing off?, what is the best way I can portray this piece of information, and my biggest article on the list is written in large writing: MUST FIND *insert various name here*. I think I might be taking the task of making this portfolio a little bit differently then others, however.
Why? Well, because I am using this portfolio as a base for another project. I am extremely concerned with aspects of usability for this portfolio. We looked at other portfolios during the previous class, and I was not that impressed with them. After creating website after website, the term 'usability' never really occured to me..particularly in terms of a personal website. Thinking of what the website might look like in another browser, alignment issues and so on was not my biggest concern..simply because it looked fine on my screen. Well I have dug much deeper into the aspects of a website, and this portfolio will showcase my new knowledge.
As Nicole and I began to discuss which artifacts we wanted to use..its some what difficult beccause as secondary English majors..there is not much to showcase. We have papers, tons of them actually, that we have written. Luckily, there have been a few classes that have assisted me in creating units, study guides and some of those things (thank heavens).
So, I suppose one of my artifacts will be my unit layout and study guide packet I created for a pretend group of seventh graders over The Giver. I worked extremely hard on this assignment, and would definitely use it in the classroom. It shows my knowledge of the book and different critical aspects that can be taken with the book.
There are a few other things I am considering putting in there, but I think my TWS (teacher work sample) would be a prime piece of information that I would put into my portfolio. I suppose I just need to keep digging for these artifacts. We sha'll see.

No comments: